DeLi(cate) Forum
PKGBUILD files - Printable Version

+- DeLi(cate) Forum (http://delicate-linux.net/forum)
+-- Forum: DeLi(cate) Linux [english only] (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Development (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: PKGBUILD files (/showthread.php?tid=74)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: PKGBUILD files - nl2stk - 03-16-2012 06:50 PM

I've read some comments and it makes me a bit sad.
Compact ofcoure your contributions are appriciated and I know that Tavvva does one hell of a job.

The truth is that there is only one captain on the ship, and I'm okay with it.
A ship with more than 1 captain can easily sink, remembering Damn Small Linux?
And if I'm just a sailor on the 'delicate' ship I'm fine with it, they seems to be usefull too.
I don't know any 'captain' things so it works for me much easier that way ;]
But we all know that a ship with a only a captain doesn't come that far, so everyone onboard is appreciated.

It's not about egoism or whatsoever I can assure that.
Otherwise why should he put the 'Delicate' project online? It is more easier to put the code for himself.
In that case, you can only make the things that's only usefull for you

And to be honest, in which project can you have easily contact and share ideas with the developer?
I'm pretty sure that Mark Shuttleworth is sleeping well without my ideas.

I hope that this is all a misunderstanding guys, I do appreciate both of you...

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 03-16-2012 06:57 PM

(03-16-2012 06:50 PM)nl2stk Wrote:  I've read some comments and it makes me a bit sad.
Compact ofcoure your contributions are appriciated and I know that Tavvva does one hell of a job.

The truth is that there is only one captain on the ship, and I'm okay with it.
A ship with more than 1 captain can easily sink, remembering Damn Small Linux?
And if I'm just a sailor on the 'delicate' ship I'm fine with it, they seems to be usefull too.
I don't know any 'captain' things so it works for me much easier that way ;]
But we all know that a ship with a only a captain doesn't come that far, so everyone onboard is appreciated.

It's not about egoism or whatsoever I can assure that.
Otherwise why should he put the 'Delicate' project online? It is more easier to put the code for himself.
In that case, you can only make the things that's only usefull for you

And to be honest, in which project can you have easily contact and share ideas with the developer?
I'm pretty sure that Mark Shuttleworth is sleeping well without my ideas.

I hope that this is all a misunderstanding guys, I do appreciate both of you...

It seems you should be the captain :] It's probably the erudition what makes you good in managing people. It's usually more important than technical leadership.

RE: PKGBUILD files - delix - 03-16-2012 06:58 PM

Just in case, my posting was the "starting point " for these troubles, I want to set some statements:

1. Did I read the HowTos before I wrote the the posting :
NO - didn't know Delicates has moved already that far from ARCH

2. what was the reason therefore :
I'm dropping by only occasionally and I'm not using Delicate on a regular basis; thus, I didn't know I had to read somewhat before I suggested the PKGBUILD

3. what I'm missing :
yes, a Wiki, FAQ and a Howto (short, but easy to find) would be better for peolpe like me than any new package

4. what would be the final reason to switch to another OS :
I'm using my Toshiba 4000CDT on a regular basis and --indeed -- for "productive" purposes.
Therefore I'm expecting a OS that runs
* fast
*save
* without too many restrictions
* standard applications
* with software as modern as possible
on this machine.

5. what's my point of view to OS development and contributing:
Finally, my aim is to get things running. Therefore I'm willing and ready to do my job in supporting and contributing the people who are working hard to make the tools available I'm using to reach my aim.
Somebody must have the hat on to get things done, and I have neither the skills nor the motivation be be this person. Of course, I never agree fully with these persons' opinion, their motivation or their aims. But that's no reason to make things harder for the peole in the driving seat; this intention may result in a reduction of contibutions to avoid more work or other troubles for the project leaders.
But I see my contributions more as suggestions than any else....

Hope, this statements helps a little bit to calm the waves.......

RE: PKGBUILD files - Compact - 03-16-2012 07:06 PM

(03-16-2012 06:40 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I'm apparently missing ability to manage people. That's what happened.

Or you manage them too good and it's that what happened ? I don't know.
Thank you for the time being here.
I wish you much succes with Delicate.
I will no longer be in your way.
That may make all the difference ?
How knows ........? Big Grin

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 03-16-2012 07:08 PM

(03-16-2012 06:58 PM)delix Wrote:  Just in case, my posting was the "starting point " for these troubles ...

No delix, it was very probably long time present problem, that culminated into this unpleasant situation ...

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 03-16-2012 07:13 PM

(03-16-2012 07:06 PM)Compact Wrote:  
(03-16-2012 06:40 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I'm apparently missing ability to manage people. That's what happened.

Or you manage them too good and it's that what happened ? I don't know.
Thank you for the time being here.
I wish you much succes with Delicate.
I will no longer be in your way.
That may make all the difference ?
How knows ........? Big Grin

I never had the feeling of you being a project blocker. I believe you helped a lot and it's a pity, that you deleted all your work. I respect your decision and won't restore it from backups. Anyway, I would appreciate if you reconsider your decision and stay with us.

RE: PKGBUILD files - nl2stk - 03-16-2012 07:24 PM

Tavvva Wrote:It seems you should be the captain :] It's probably the erudition what makes you good in managing people. It's usually more important than technical leadership.

That would be a worse idea, unless the ship needs to be converted to a submarine.

delix Wrote:Of course, I never agree fully with these persons' opinion, their motivation or their aims.

Bingo!
Different people, different needs.
It's impossible to make a distro that keeps everyone satisfied, otherwise there wouldn't be so many.
But as long as it's the most closest that what I like, I'll stick to it.

RE: PKGBUILD files - Compact - 03-16-2012 07:29 PM

(03-16-2012 07:13 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I would appreciate if you reconsider your decision and stay with us.

I'm sorry. I trust myself too much if these things build up in my head.
Our idea's for a light concept differ too much. Just as simple as that.
It only took some time too find out. In the meantime you had your feedback and I learned a lot. So I don't see this negative. More as a thing that just can happen in Life.
I'll stay curious about what Delicate finally turns out to be.
I do keep on respecting your initiative. But I don't feel any room for myself
anymore in the development. And I think that's importent if you work together.
So I wish you well with all my heart.

Only 1 last question ? How do I unsubscribe ??

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 03-16-2012 07:41 PM

(03-16-2012 07:29 PM)Compact Wrote:  
(03-16-2012 07:13 PM)tavvva Wrote:  I would appreciate if you reconsider your decision and stay with us.

I'm sorry. I trust myself too much if these things build up in my head.
Our idea's for a light concept differ too much. Just as simple as that.

I'd really like to know more about this conceptual difference.

(03-16-2012 07:29 PM)Compact Wrote:  It only took some time too find out. In the meantime you had your feedback and I learned a lot. So I don't see this negative. More as a thing that just can happen in Life.
I'll stay curious about what Delicate finally turns out to be.
I do keep on respecting your initiative. But I don't feel any room for myself
anymore in the development.

Just an idea ... maybe You could try to create your own fork of DeLi(cate) or DeLi. I can give you all missing pieces which are not yet in form that can be shared publicly. And maybe one day we could interchange ideas or packages between our distros? That's what often happens in the opensource world.

(03-16-2012 07:29 PM)Compact Wrote:  And I think that's importent if you work together.
So I wish you well with all my heart.

Only 1 last question ? How do I unsubscribe ??

Honestly .... I don't know. I never did that from the regular member's account. If you really really wish to cancel your account, I can do that for you from the admin account.

RE: PKGBUILD files - nl2stk - 03-16-2012 07:57 PM

(03-16-2012 07:29 PM)Compact Wrote:  Our idea's for a light concept differ too much. Just as simple as that.

I *think* there is plenty of room to ventilate ideas.
So I'm curious about your ideas, we all can learn from eachother.