DeLi(cate) Forum
PKGBUILD files - Printable Version

+- DeLi(cate) Forum (http://delicate-linux.net/forum)
+-- Forum: DeLi(cate) Linux [english only] (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Development (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: PKGBUILD files (/showthread.php?tid=74)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: PKGBUILD files - nl2stk - 01-19-2012 02:43 PM

(01-19-2012 02:16 PM)Compact Wrote:  At the same time I'm afraid that if there is no interest in Console browsing it will not be developed any longer, so I thought some attention for Netsurf-framebuffer would not be wrong ? There was a double interest functioning here.

As long as there are linux-servers without X, console browsing will never die Tongue
I use Links and Lynx on daily basis, they're faster with large sites (newspapers with crappy ads, for example). For me It easier to live without X than with a X only system, but I don't have to choose... so I use both :]. A light mixture of both worlds

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 01-22-2012 06:19 PM

(01-19-2012 11:28 AM)Compact Wrote:  Netsurf-FrameBuffer-SDL version 2.8 (21 september 2011)

Hello Compact.

I've tried to build the netsurf-sdl 2.8 package using the PKGBUILD provided by You, but the result doesn't work at all in my case. The main window is not opened and the application is terminated immediately. So .... the build doesn't seem to be reproducible.
One note ... Everytime You believe that Your PKGBUILD is ready, please, delete the src and pkg directory and do a clean package rebuild. Usually src directory contains files created during the previous compilations and that might lead to missing stuff if You do any changes since the src directory creation.
Moreover, the PKGBUILD contains several things I'm not happy about. If this is supposed to be an SDL frontend, then where's the SDL dependency in the list of deps? This might affect the build too. If the SDL library is present on Your system during the build, then it can be detected by the build process even if it is not listed in the pacman deps (it's independent process). And that could consequently cause runtime errors on systems, where the SDL library isn't installed. And that could also lead to a different result when somebody wants to rebuild the package from the provided source files.
Second very important thing is so called "bundling" of libraries. I'm gonna explain what it means.
Maybe You know the difference between static and shared libraries. Shared library is something what's loaded in the memory just once and then it can be reused by several applications. Static library is the opposite. It becomes a fixed part of the application and wastes the same amount of memory with each application instance -> that's why we don't like static libs. And now the "bundling" thing. Some applications include libraries needed for the successful build directly in the source package in order to create something like All-In-One source archive. But that's usually a nightmare instead of being helpful. If these libraries can be reused by other applications, then they should be built separately and it should be also possible to install them separately. Otherwise all other apps dependent on them would have to either include them again! or install the package that bundles them as a dependency. So ... in case of netsurf-sdl, there are two issues .... 1.) bundled libs .... 2.) static only libs ..... please, check, if they can be 1.) switched to shared libraries .... 2.) built as separate packages ....

UPDATE:

I've created a gpm-stop application to kill the gpm from the regular user account and to allow "others" to write ...
I've also changed the nsdl script to be correct ...

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 01-22-2012 07:10 PM

Ok .... I just rebuilt the netsurf-sdl with SDL libs installed and it works .... I'll include it in the repo even when it's built with the static libs, but please, check the possibility of switching it to shared libs .... otherwise it's not compact enough Big Grin

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 01-22-2012 11:17 PM

(01-09-2012 12:37 AM)nl2stk Wrote:  Rogue for the CLI with Ncurses

It's ok .... I just added the following line in the PKGBUILD.

groups=('games')

RE: PKGBUILD files - nl2stk - 01-23-2012 11:46 PM

Powder is a roque-like game, but this time with SDL graphics.
Compiling takes a lot of the pc.
The compileall.sh is already in 386 modus, so there was no need to change it Smile
The powder.desktop contains obvious information and I've include it in the .tar with icons.

Code:
# Maintainer: theo - nl2stk
#
# Thanks to: megadriver and Dominion

pkgname=powder
pkgver=117
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A graphical roguelike, originally designed for the Game Boy Advance"
url="http://www.zincland.com/powder/"
license=('custom')
depends=('sdl')
source=("http://zincland.com/powder/release/${pkgname}${pkgver}_src.tar.gz"
        $pkgname.desktop
        $pkgname.png
        ${pkgname}_16x16.xpm
        ${pkgname}_32x32.xpm)
md5sums=('c4f11cd0ad6b649474ed5ede84e7423b' 'f53ae3df42653048037a5195333ed05c'\
         '1a66df9df1f8d7ddffa62bf23f64dbca' 'f67137fc2a709a81586b04bbb7932e59'\
         'e8a3f01ede15dd44c22596df1caf26f8')

build() {
  cd "${startdir}/src/${pkgname}${pkgver}_src/"
  ./buildall.sh --use-home-dir
  install -Dm 755 powder "${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/powder"
  install -Dm 644 LICENSE.TXT "${startdir}/pkg/usr/share/licenses/powder/LICENSE.TXT"
  install -Dm 644 $srcdir/$pkgname.desktop $pkgdir/usr/share/applications/$pkgname.desktop
  install -Dm 644 $srcdir/$pkgname.png $pkgdir/usr/share/pixmaps/$pkgname.png
  install -Dm 644 $srcdir/${pkgname}_32x32.xpm $pkgdir/usr/share/pixmaps/${pkgname}_32x32.xpm
  install -Dm 644 $srcdir/${pkgname}_16x16.xpm $pkgdir/usr/share/pixmaps/${pkgname}_16x16.xpm
}

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 01-24-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:I'm so sorry. Forgot it again and this should not be.
If I'm running a program. Is there a way to see what other packages are used by it ? For very often I don't know anymore what I've installed. Or should I compile everytime on a clean Delicate install to discover things out ?

Good question.
Bigger linux distributors have powerful buildsystems with a special build environment where a clean system base is reinitialized in case of ALL builds .... without exceptions! That costs a lot of time, but the result is more safe and the maintainers can be sure, that no make dependencies were forgotten. We unfortunately don't have anything like that.
One way is to have a secondary CLEAN system for such purposes, where You could test Your builds by calling :

makepkg --syncdeps --rmdeps

This would automatically install all missing dependencies needed for the build and also remove them after the build.
You can alternatively try a shorter form of the switches:

makepkg -sr

Quote:On the 'old way' I managed to compile Netsurf-svn a few days ago. 1 extra new warning during compiling. But the history icons show an image now. No other visible changes as far as I can see.

I noticed You are affraid of warnings. Well ... the fact is, they're often present and You can either fix them (and send a patch to upstream) or completely ignore them. Many of them are describing some coding issues made by the programmer, but the software usually somehow works even with such issues.

Quote:A general question how do you want to implement or handle svn-packages on the forum ?

If the sources are not available in a tarball or zipped form and need to be exported from any version control system (CVS, SVN, GIT, ...), then a good practice is to put the commands leading to the source archive creation into a comments inside the PKGBUILD file.

Example for SVN:
Code:
# svn export http://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/tags/animal-sniffer-parent-1.6 animal-sniffer-1.6
# tar caf animal-sniffer-1.6.tar.gz animal-sniffer-1.6
source=(animal-sniffer-1.6.tar.gz)

Example for GIT:
Code:
# git clone git://github.com/jhy/jsoup
# cd jsoup
# git archive --prefix="jsoup-1.6.1/" --format=tar jsoup-1.6.1 | gzip > ../jsoup-1.6.1.tar.gz
source=(jsoup-1.6.1.tar.gz)

The newly created tar.gz file is then put in the source list without any URL .... just the filename.

The md5sums will differ each time a new export is done ... but You could generate the md5sums at least for Your own files (like .desktop or icons). I will replace just the lines containing sums of the exported sources. That's perfectly acceptable in such cases.

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 01-25-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:If I got you right this means that the created.tar.gz must be uploaded to the forum then ? Are you not afraid you run out of space ? Some tar.gz files can be quite huge to deliver only a small file. And how big can a file be you can upload without splitting ?

No ... You got me wrong :]
You only put the comments containing steps needed for the tarball recreation in the PKGBUILD.
I'll clone/export the sources from the CVS/GIT/SVN again using the steps provided by You ....

Quote:Another thing. Netsurf-sdl runs fine together with Netsurf-gtk but I forgot about the ~/.netsurf dir. Do you think this is a problem ?

Ouuuu .... I somehow forgot about that ... That might be a problem ... and I would like to introduce a GTK version of Netsurf 2.8 too ..... but it could possibly share the ~/.netsurf data with the SDL version .... we'll have to play with that stuff more ...

RE: PKGBUILD files - nl2stk - 01-25-2012 01:15 AM

(01-25-2012 12:23 AM)tavvva Wrote:  Ouuuu .... I somehow forgot about that ... That might be a problem ... and I would like to introduce a GTK version of Netsurf 2.8 too ..... but it could possibly share the ~/.netsurf data with the SDL version .... we'll have to play with that stuff more ...

That would be nice Smile The main reason that I don't use netsurf (gtk-version) is that I can't download with it. I know I can 'wget' the link with the terminal, but why doing it the hard way if other programs can do it with a single click. But version 2.8 looks good and still light (hubbub for html 5?).

RE: PKGBUILD files - nl2stk - 01-25-2012 11:18 PM

(01-25-2012 06:59 PM)Compact Wrote:  I'll play a bit with both Netsurf versions to see what the impact is on the ~/.netsurf dir.
I tried to compile Netsurf-GTK versions higher than 1.2 but they all need GTK >=2.12.
As tavvva already stated: GTK >=2.12 might be to heavy for our purpose of leightweightness ? But who knows ?

Hmm.. good reason to test it before it goes into the wild Smile

Compact Wrote:About downloading. I found skipstone having quite some touble with some links andonly downloading tthe html page where Links did everything right.
Some extensions can cause some problems too.
Yesterday I had an issue with an Enterprise 128 emulator, I needed the roms and the extension was .zip_old. Skipstone opens it as a page... Lot's of rubbish on the screen Smile
But if that happens (which isn't very often) I use 'wget' in the terminal.

RE: PKGBUILD files - tavvva - 01-28-2012 11:04 PM

(01-25-2012 06:59 PM)Compact Wrote:  I'll play a bit with both Netsurf versions to see what the impact is on the ~/.netsurf dir.
I tried to compile Netsurf-GTK versions higher than 1.2 but they all need GTK >=2.12.
As tavvva already stated: GTK >=2.12 might be to heavy for our purpose of leightweightness ? But who knows ?

I plan to create a new optional repository for heavier stuff. It could contain things like newer gtk ... etc. Users with more powerful computers wanting such updates could update ... Users with slower computers can stay by the older versions ....

(01-25-2012 06:59 PM)Compact Wrote:  About downloading. I found skipstone having quite some touble with some links andonly downloading tthe html page where Links did everything right.

Yes ... I've noticed that. We could additionally introduce a new xulrunner in the optional repo and test it with skipstone. I also plan to build webkit and xxxterm .... still unsure which version ....

(01-25-2012 06:59 PM)Compact Wrote:  I'm typing this now with Netsurf-SDL without X but 'no cursor' is not so handy ....
In the meantime I found the exit button and a onscreen keyboard for Netsurf-SDL. I also have a look at 'shared' instead of 'static' and other things to make it a bit better.........

exit button .... wooohoooo ..... where is it? Big Grin