DeLi(cate) Forum

Full Version: dialog replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Made some modifications to the source code of the DPlus browser and it can now be used to output the form string it would normally send to the server to a local file. Think it would make a good replacement for dialog, xdialog, gtkdialog, etc. DPlus runs in X Windows using fltk. It can run in console (outside of X) if built with nano-X and fltk.
That's a nice catch the D+ browser, the org. Dillo doesn't work that great on my computer.. It connects slowly I don't know what it is, but it's the same story with other distros and other computers here at my place..
So I assume it's a Dillo problem..

Edit: D+ is using FLTK 1.3 and Delicate is using 2.0 Sad
(06-07-2012 05:52 PM)nl2stk Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: D+ is using FLTK 1.3 and Delicate is using 2.0 Sad

I think both versions of FLTK will coexist. Dillo is moving towards 1.3 support. D+ is already there. I know it's strange that FLTK has moved backwards on versioning, but when I asked on the FLTK list what was the best version to use when compiling various Open Source applications, they said 1.3. The 1.1 line had no internationalization support, but most applications were designed using it. The 2.0 version had internationalization (thus a few projects dillo and cinepaint used it), but it was so different from the previous version that none of the old stuff got ported. 1.3 has internationalization and is a lot more backwards compatible with the 1.1 line. I've been able to port most of the programs I had working with 1.1 to 1.3 (either just by rebuilding or with some minor modifications). Cinepaint made the switch to 1.3 before development stalled. Dillo has a 1.3 version (which D+ was originally based on before it was forked).

As to D+ versus Dillo, tried building both and Dillo may be lightweight on the libraries it needs, but it's not very portable across various operating systems. D+ was written to be very portable (a version even works on DOS). It looks pretty cleanly coded and has some helpful documentation. Am planning to use D+ in place of Dillo on any of my computers at this point. Am also using 1.3 on all my systems instead of 2.0 since there are many more applications that work with it and it's being actively improved/supported by its developers.

By the way, the person who worked with the D+ developer on the DOS port of D+ also has ports of flwriter and antipaint (both for 1.3). He's made several improvements to the flwriter version that was available on Linux systems. I think it would be possible to use his code as a starting point (with all its improvements and additions) and port these applications back to Linux. That gives a system some nice word processor and graphics editing programs (which is exactly what he was trying to do for DOS).
yup ... both versions of FLTK can be installed .... that's the same like GTK .... we have both versions ....
I have some scripts and HTML files that use the modified DPlus browser to set configuration and environment related settings. I think it could be expanded to make a configuration control panel. Right now, it can set default environment variables such as BROWSER, PAGER, EDITOR, TERMINAL and use the default EDITOR to edit Openbox configuration files. Probably needs a lot more work, but it's a start.
Tell us, once you have anything suitable for tests ..
Will do. Wasn't sure if DPlus would build easily on DeLicate, so I'm making similar modifications to lynx. That way, you can pick which modified browser you want to use to display user interface forms and screens. Renamed the modified versions to dplusui and lynxui so they wouldn't interfere with the originals.
I have patches for lynx and dplus to turn them into user interfaces plus a sample bash configuration script that can be used to set environment variables or run applications available:

http://www.distasis.com/cpp/lmbld.htm#lmbldui

It can be run outside of X Windows (if you don't have X on your system) if lynx is used. I think it could make a useful front end for certain command line applications too.

If anyone tries it out, would be interested to know. If anyone has any questions on how to put things together and get them working, feel free to ask.
I'm finally back and looking at messages ... gonna try soon.
Just checked the DPlus site and looks like they updated the browser already without keeping the older source release. To work with the original source I patched if needed, you can download copies here:
https://sites.google.com/site/lmemsm/lmb...ects=0&d=1
https://sites.google.com/site/lmemsm/lmb...ects=0&d=1
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's