DeLi(cate) Forum

Full Version: Very old laptop - need some help :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
a)osmo = installed but I get a message (osmo:123): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

syasokoban, ninvaders = cant find the package name so I cant say any further info

b)I don't know how much memory you have left (swap?). You can check that with 'htop'

I used : free, results :
free mem = 8,8mb
swap = 125mb
Memory shouldn't be the problem, I think everything should run :]
That Osmo thing is very strange.. On both my computers it works without errors.

The other thing is something I don't understand, is it something about to get a listing from what the cd contains (like dir in dos?)
In that case you can 'walkthru' the cd with the 'mount' 'cd' and 'ls' command.
The 'cd' command is a bit different than dos (don't forget the space between cd .. for example), and You can use 'ls' instead of 'dir'.
Another tip is to use the asterix '*' in long filenames, but only in cases when you know that there isn't a package with almost the same name. An example:pacman -U sya*.pkg.tar.gz' instead of the entire filename. But like I told above be very very sure.
(02-15-2012 09:29 AM)euronet Wrote: [ -> ]a)osmo = installed but I get a message (osmo:123): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

That's because You're trying to execute the application from the root account using 'su' ...
Try it from the menu ...

(02-15-2012 09:29 AM)euronet Wrote: [ -> ]syasokoban, ninvaders = cant find the package name so I cant say any further info

syasokoban and ninvaders are not on the CD .... all packages on the CD are in the /pkg directory .... you can check what's inside by mounting the CD under /cdrom (you already know how to do that) and then ls /cdrom/pkg | less or simply walk through the /cdrom/pkg directory using the mc command (Midnight Commander) .... alternatively you can use the Rox file manager (available in the menu) ... it would be nice if You could make the internet connection working ... updates over the Internet are much easier ... moreover there's much more software available in the internet repository. I plan to release software pack CDs in future ... they unfortunately aren't available yet ....

(02-15-2012 09:29 AM)euronet Wrote: [ -> ]b)I don't know how much memory you have left (swap?). You can check that with 'htop'

I used : free, results :
free mem = 8,8mb
swap = 125mb

woow ... 8,8MB free from 16MB available? that's probably with caches, isn't it? Do You use Xorg X server or Tiny X server ?
as I said in the begining I'll do 1 step every time Smile
so
woow ... 8,8MB free from 16MB available? = I am using atm only console ( I like it though I am windows user for maaaany years )

syasokoban and ninvaders are not on the CD = I did my search at cd Smile found nothing familiar there thats why I asked where to find them

That's because You're trying to execute the application from the root account using 'su' ...
Try it from the menu ... = yes I got rooted atm at root account Smile I was trying/typing several things just to know better the linux environment, I will try it later from normal account that I have created

thanks once again Smile
(02-15-2012 01:54 PM)euronet Wrote: [ -> ]as I said in the begining I'll do 1 step every time Smile
so
woow ... 8,8MB free from 16MB available? = I am using atm only console ( I like it though I am windows user for maaaany years )

Console is quite limited ... only console or SDL applications can work without X server ... if you want to have graphics without X server, then you need to activate framebuffer by passing the vga=mode parameter to kernel in the bootloader (or by making it permanent by changing the /boot/grub/menu.lst ... you can put it at the end of the kernel lines )
The available framebuffer modes are listed here: http://pierre.baudu.in/other/grub.vga.modes.html
Some of them might be unsupported by your graphics card .... I typically use vga=794.

(02-15-2012 01:54 PM)euronet Wrote: [ -> ]syasokoban and ninvaders are not on the CD = I did my search at cd Smile found nothing familiar there thats why I asked where to find them

Here:
http://delicate.tavvva.net/0.1/pkg/

since You have no internet connection on the laptop yet, you need to download them manually with all their dependencies (and that could be more difficult if you don't know what deps are needed) .... list of the deps can be found either inside the package (.PKGINFO file) or in the source repository http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/src/ where you need to search for the package name ... and then look inside the PKGBUILD file (entry 'depends'). Some of the dependencies can be missing in the source repository and don't forget that they could have their own dependencies .... actually it's a tree of dependencies that needs to be downloaded/installed and that can be time consuming ... I'll probably create a very first software pack CD to make it easier ...

(02-15-2012 01:54 PM)euronet Wrote: [ -> ]That's because You're trying to execute the application from the root account using 'su' ...
Try it from the menu ... = yes I got rooted atm at root account Smile I was trying/typing several things just to know better the linux environment, I will try it later from normal account that I have created

thanks once again Smile

Wink
Btw. you can download all DeLi(cate) 0.1 packages by entering the following nasty command (it's only one looong line, so ... avoid line wrappings when typing or copy'n'pasting ):
Code:
curl http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/pkg/ | sed 's/href/\nhref/g' | grep -v 'img src' | cut -f2 -d'"' | grep '.tar.gz' | while read i; do wget http://delicate-linux.net/0.1/pkg/$i ;done

But it's only available in linux/unix or in the unix-tools for windows....
The xircom card has arrived. It works correctly with the 6729 bridge. pcmcia-cs modules are needed ... and the pcmcia service then takes care of the right card modules correctly ...
a)Btw. you can download all DeLi(cate) 0.1 packages by entering the following nasty command ......

its ok I will do 1 by 1 what I need then I'll burn the cd and install what I need Smile

b)The xircom card has arrived. It works correctly with the 6729 bridge. pcmcia-cs modules are needed ... and the pcmcia service then takes care of the right card modules correctly ...

thats fine, so we found the answer Smile I also did my search in the neighborhood waiting some answers

c) I used to play an old chinese game ( ma-johng if I remember well )
I did a quick check at http://delicate.tavvva.net/0.1/pkg/ but found nothing similar , does it exist by accident ? or if it doesnt does any1 know how to get it to use in my laptop ?

thanks again Smile
(02-16-2012 11:13 PM)euronet Wrote: [ -> ]a)Btw. you can download all DeLi(cate) 0.1 packages by entering the following nasty command ......

its ok I will do 1 by 1 what I need then I'll burn the cd and install what I need Smile

Well ... that's not so easy, because you don't know the dependency tree :] You would have to download one package, then look inside and then download the deps and look inside the deps and then look inside the deps of the deps and again and again and ..........till you decide to use the proposed way Big Grin Linux is probably more modular than you think :]

(02-16-2012 11:13 PM)euronet Wrote: [ -> ]b)The xircom card has arrived. It works correctly with the 6729 bridge. pcmcia-cs modules are needed ... and the pcmcia service then takes care of the right card modules correctly ...

thats fine, so we found the answer Smile I also did my search in the neighborhood waiting some answers

c) I used to play an old chinese game ( ma-johng if I remember well )
I did a quick check at http://delicate.tavvva.net/0.1/pkg/ but found nothing similar , does it exist by accident ? or if it doesnt does any1 know how to get it to use in my laptop ?

Mahjong has more mutations with different names. We have such kind of game in the game set called Ace of Penguins ... the game is called Taipei .... I recently patched this game in order to make it work correctly ... You can test it and let me know. I could eventually introduce xmahjongg, but the game principle is almost the same. The AceOfPenguins gameset has a cheaper look, but that's because it's pretty lightweight. Anyway .... it's well playable and that's important.
its ok I will do 1 by 1 what I need then I'll burn the cd and install what I need ...

I got 1 question here , if I write a multisession cd for these packages ( dont want to burn many cds or dont want to wait too long )
is the system able to read this multisession cd ?

thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference URL's