DeLi(cate) Forum

Full Version: Acer Veriton FP2 - USB problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I installed DeLi(cate) Linux 0.1 however am unable to log on because the install did not include USB drivers and this machine does not have PS2 ports. This is an old All-In-One computer called the Acer Veriton FP2. It has a PIII, but has built-in DVI for the attached LCD monitor, and does not have any PS2 ports for mouse/keyboard, so they have to be USB. It is a strange machine indeed! I am unable to install USB drivers because both the mouse and keyboard are USB, so I have no functional inputs.
Here are the specs:

Pentium III Coppermine 900Mhz
512Mb Ram
20Gb hard drive
i815 Chipset
DVI video
No PS/2 inputs
USB inputs only

I want to set up this machine as a thin client.
Hello :]
Welcome ...

The installation apparently works for You .... so ... the BIOS calls seem to handle Your input devices well.

I would recommend You to mount the root filesystem from the install CD and put the following lines in the /etc/rc.modules:

/sbin/modprobe uhci
/sbin/modprobe usb-ohci
/sbin/modprobe hid

then umount the rootfs and reboot.

Please, let me know if that helps or not ... we could do more troubleshooting.
Hello Tavvva,
I have added those 3 lines in my rc.modules file. Now when I boot it stops at the following:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface Driver 1.1
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin D of device 00:1f.2 - Using IRQ 3
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x8880, IRQ 3
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1

boot hangs at this point and mouse and keyboard are not on.

I have noticed that the mouse and keyboard turn off some time after the CD drive gets mounted, but before these USB drivers get registered. Unfortunately the text goes by too fast so I have not yet determined the actual point where the USB shuts off.

(12-28-2011 11:40 AM)tavvva Wrote: [ -> ]Hello :]
Welcome ...

The installation apparently works for You .... so ... the BIOS calls seem to handle Your input devices well.

I would recommend You to mount the root filesystem from the install CD and put the following lines in the /etc/rc.modules:

/sbin/modprobe uhci
/sbin/modprobe usb-ohci
/sbin/modprobe hid

then umount the rootfs and reboot.

Please, let me know if that helps or not ... we could do more troubleshooting.
(12-28-2011 07:06 PM)sgadecki Wrote: [ -> ]usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface Driver 1.1
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin D of device 00:1f.2 - Using IRQ 3
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x8880, IRQ 3
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1

boot hangs at this point and mouse and keyboard are not on.

That might be some IRQ/ACPI related issue ... could You please try to boot with the acpi=off kernel boot parameter? If that helps, then add it in the /boot/grub/menu.lst

I'm unsure how good your knowledge is -> if You have problems with specifying the kernel boot parameter, then let me know ...
Thanks Tavvva that worked! I am able to log on and get to the command prompt.

Thanks for your help!

(12-28-2011 08:18 PM)tavvva Wrote: [ -> ]That might be some IRQ/ACPI related issue ... could You please try to boot with the acpi=off kernel boot parameter? If that helps, then add it in the /boot/grub/menu.lst

I'm unsure how good your knowledge is -> if You have problems with specifying the kernel boot parameter, then let me know ...
You're welcome! Smile

You could experience minor issues with acpi=off ... if poweroff doesn't work well (for example hangs), then try to load the apm module too ...
Reference URL's